A pioneering woman of science re-emerges after 300 years
36. Merian was the first scientist to study a type of American ant
37. The European audience was mere interested in Merian’s drawings than her gender.
38. Merian’s masterpiece came under attack a century after its publication.
39. Merian’s mistakes in her drawings may be attributed to her shortened stay in South America.
40. Merian often sat up the whole night through to observe and draw insects.
41. Merian acknowledged the help she got from natives of South America.
42. Merian contributed greatly to people’s better understanding of medicine and science.
43. Merian occasionally made mistakes in her drawings of insects and birds.
44. Now, Merian’s role as a female forerunner in sciences has been re-established.
45. Merian made a long voyage to South America to study jungle insects over three centuries ago.