Just back from a tour of several Arabian Gulf1 countries, a woman recalls how jumpy she felt talking to men there. “Not because of what they said, ”she explains,“ but what they did with their eyes. ”Instead of the occasional blink, Arabs lowered their lids so slowly and languorously that she was convinced they were falling asleep. In Japan eye contact is a key to the way you feel about someone. And the less of it,the better. What a Westerner considers an honest look in the eye , the Oriental takes as a lack of respect and a personal affront. Even when shaking hands or bowing — and especially when conversing6 — only an occasional glance into the other person’s face is considered polite. The rest of the time , great attention should be paid to fingertips, desktops,and the warp and woof of the carpet.“Always keep your shoes shined in Tokyo, ”advises an electronics representative who has spent several days there .“You can bet a lot of Japanese you meet will have their eyeson them. ”
Ⅰ. Do you understand the meaning of the following sentences relating to eye and could you explain them in your own words ?
1. His eye s are bigger than his stomach.
2. He’s got a black eye .
3. Mary spent the whole evening making eye s at other men.
4. The trip to Australia was quite an e ye -opener.
5. My wife and I don’t see eye to eye on this matter.
6. She is always the apple of her father’s eye .
Ⅱ. Fill in the blanks with proper prepositions:
1. The discovery of the murder weapon provided the key the mystery.
2. Please keep an eye the baby for me.
3. Can you look me the eye and say you didn’t steal it?
4. For a moment her words didn’t sink .
Ⅰ. 1. He is too greedy in asking for or taking more food than he can eat.
2. He’s been beaten by somebody and there is a dark bruised skin around his eye.
3. Mary spent the whole evening looking at other men amorously and seductively.
4. The trip to Australia was very enlightening and brought some surprises to me.
5. I don’t agree with my wife on this matter.
6. She is loved much by his father.
Ⅱ. 1. to 2. on 3 . in 4 . in